P O Box 91331, Auckland Park 2006
DANCE UMBRELLA FESTIVAL 2017
March 1-12, 2017
PROGRAMME INFORMATION SHEET
Dance Umbrella, which started 29 years ago, is an internationally renowned South African Contemporary dance festival. It remains an open and free platform for new contemporary choreography and dance and in 2017 will include:
THE MAIN PROGRAMME:
Commissioned and/or selected work by South African choreographers and international works (via the application forms below); if you want your work to be considered for commission please ensure you complete the appropriate application form.
STEPPING STONES PROGRAMMES:
Specifically for youth groups, community groups and hip hop/pantsula, or anyone who wants to present a new work within a formal performance space where the process is supported with lighting and sound.
Please note the following:
- When the Stepping Stones programme is fully subscribed to no further entries will be accepted.
- There is NO GUARANTEE THAT ALL ENTRIES WILL BE PROGRAMMED - PLEASE BE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE ENTERING. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THIS INFORMATION - do not wait until the last minute as your entry may NOT be accepted. WE CANNOT GO BEYOND THE TIME WE HAVE AVAILABLE SO IT’S FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED.
- If you are presenting a PERFORMANCE ART WORK PLEASE STATE THIS CLEARLY ON THE ENTRY FORM.
- The selection of works and the sequencing of the programmes are done at the discretion of the organisers, the artistic director and consultants. Their decision is final.
- The venues for Dance Umbrella and all technical facilities within the budget, the theatre, publicity, posters and programmes are provided free, at no cost to the participating choreographers, dance companies or groups.
- Should the technical requirements EXCEED THE ALLOCATED BUDGET WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ASSIST YOU FURTHER.
- Transport and accommodation costs and all costs directly related to staging the work, such as costumes, musicians’ fees, music copyright fees, props, etc. are the responsibility of the participants and/or choreographers.
- Please note: each venue will be supplied with basic technical back up which will include a DVD player, video machine and lighting. Should you require anything additional, this will be for your own account.
- Use of fire and water will not be allowed.
- If there is NUDITY or STRONG LANGUAGE in the work, please inform us before the event.
Please fill in the entry forms for Dance Umbrella 2017 and please note THE CLOSING DATE IS SEPTEMBER 16, 2016 – no entries will be accepted after this date!
Please return your completed form to:
OR post to:
Dance Umbrella, P O Box 91331, Auckland Park 2006 (as the postal service is not always reliable, we would suggest that you email your entry form to ensure that it does reach us in time).
OR drop off your application at our offices – Dance Space, 1 President Street, Newtown Arts Precinct.
For queries: Telephone: 011 492 0709/2033
DIRECTOR: DANCE FORUM
The Dance Umbrella 2017 is funded by